Choosing Your Professional Tax Preparer

Home/Choosing Your Professional Tax Preparer

According to California Law anyone who prepares a tax return for a fee and is not an attorney, CPA, or an enrolled agent (EA), MUST register as a tax preparer with the California Tax Education Council (CTEC).

Each CTEC registered Tax Preparer (CRTP) is required to complete annual tax education courses and purchase a bond to protect you against fraud.

How do I verify a CTEC Registered Tax Preparer?
Each year CTEC registered Tax Preparers are given a certificate and registration card showing their name and CTEC number (the number always starts with an “A”) ask for this information.  You can go online at and click on “Verify a Tax Preparer” or call (877)850-2832.

Noel Canon, is a licensed Enrolled Agent, license 00099341-EA, and if you ever need to verify whether someone is an enrolled agent? You may email requests for enrolled agent status verification directly to Please include the following information in your request:
First and Last Name
Complete Address (if available)
Enrolled Agent Number (if available)